Here’s a preview of the upcoming E-book. For this particular recipe I used Leelands lamb shoulder racks. Leelands Lamb is run by Bill French in Invercargill, New Zealand and in my opinion their lamb is one of the best in the world. Here I have used a lamb shoulder rack and cooked it pink. Unless you have a very high quality lamb shoulder then I would suggest you use a traditional lamb rack for this.
Spice crusted lamb shoulder rack, salt n pepper brains, Jerusalem artichokes, broad beans, beetroot puree
Write a review
- one per person
- ½ rack per person
- (see basics)
Salt n pepper flour
- 500 gr tempura flour
- 2 T gr. black pepper
- 2 T sea salt
- 2 t seven spice
- 2 nori sheets toasted-ground
- Spiced beetroot puree
- 20g coriander seeds
- 20g cumin seeds
- 5 g allspice
- 1kg beetroot
- 60g greek yoghurt
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 tspn balsamic
- Jerusalem artichokes
- Broad beans
- Store bought or make your own (see basics)
For the spice flour
- Grind together the spices and mix well with the flour.
- Keep in an air tight container.
For the brains
- Combine all the court bouillon ingredients together and simmer for 15mins to infuse.
- Drop the brains in, simmer for 2mins and then remove from the heat and leave for 5-10mins, then drain.
- Can cool in the fridge for later use or use straight away.
- Dust in the salt n pepper flour and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season.
For the puree
- Bake the beetroot in the oven at 160 with a cup of water until tender. (This will take about an hour). Check half way through to make sure the water hasn’t evaporated; you only need about a centimetre in the bottom of the tray.
- Once cooked remove, discard the water and rub off the skins while still hot. You will want to use disposable gloves for this.
- Roast off the spices and grind to a powder.
- Cut the beetroot roughly and while still hot blend together with all the other ingredients.
For the veg
- Peel the artichokes and cook in salted water until just cooked.
- If you overcook they will turn to mush.
- Peel the broad beans and wash.
- Roast the lamb roll in dukkah after resting for 10mins then carve.
- Pan fry thin slices of the Jerusalem artichokes in a little oil, butter and garlic.
- Add broad beans at the end.
- Serve the lamb on the artichokes and broad beans with beetroot puree, the fried brains and a little jus and herbs.
MacLean Fraser http://macleanfraser.com/